Sunday 10 May 2015

Burns An' A' That Festival 2015

Last weekend I caught up with Scottish Singer/Songwriter Sandi Thom at the Burns and a'That Festival held in Ayr.

Annual 'Burns an' a' that' Festival.

The Burns an' a' that! Festival is an annual tribute to Scotland's internationally acclaimed poet Robert Burns. In this year, 2015, the  festival celebrated its fourteenth anniversary with a free 'Weekend in the Park' celebration on Sat 2 & Sun 3 May at the new location of Rozelle Park, Ayr. There was an amazing line-up of live music & Burns performances. 

There was a wide variety of artists performing at the festival including Dogtooth, Seaside Sons and Big Country. In the acoustic tent there were performance from local singer/songwriters including Sophie Rodgers, Jamie Angus and Chloe Marie. 

Due to other commitments I was only able to make it down to Ayr for Saturday's Headline Act, Sandi Thom. Having seen Sandi perform before I knew that I would be in for a great show, not to be missed and I was glad that I didn't!

Sandi Thom at the 'Burns an' a' that' Festival. Photo by Martin Bone Photography.

For those of you who don't know me, I have previously worked with Sandi Thom when I released an EP through her label, Guardian Angel Records. 
So I was pleased when she spotted me on the crowd and gave me one of her knowing smiles on arrival to the stage!

Nicola Cassells with Sandi Thom

Sandi appeared on stage at Rozelle along with her talented band members, Calum Ingram on the Cello and Scott Cowie on Drums and Percussion, beginning with the gripping number 'Help Me' from her Flesh and Blood Album. 
Other hits with the crowd included 'When Horsepower Meant What it Said' and the Foo Fighters Cover 'Time Like These' which had the crowd singing along. 

To keep the crowd engaged she decided to have a little fun with The song 'Rolling Train' inviting the crowd to sing along and play each half of the room against each another, a great way to involve fans!

Sandi Thom with band members, Calum Ingram and Scott Cowie. Photo by Martin Bone Photography

Next, Sandi performed her breakthrough song, the one which the audience had been waiting for, 'I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker', informing the audience of how it has been 10 years since the song was released in the UK. 

All loved up and recently engaged, Sandi is looking forward to the future and is set to release her new single with Scottish Label, Mita records, due for release in May. I wish her all the best at this exciting time in her life!

To pay tribute to the famous Bard, Robert Burns, Sandi and her band played a mesmerising version of 'Auld Land Syne' and to finish she performed the title track from her recent album 'Flesh and Blood'. This is one of my favourite songs from Sandi and if you check out the video below you will find out why...


It was fantastic to see Sandi perform in my home town and to have a wee catch up with her afterwards, such a talent and an inspiration!

Sandi Thom on Stage in Ayrshire.  Photo by Martin Bone Photography.


"The festival was fantastic, my home crowd never lets me down and on this night they were on form!!" -Sandi Thom

With Love
xx

p.s. thanks Alister Firth!! 
"The Talented Nicola Cassells takes a night off to watch the talented Sandi Thom at Burns an' a' that"- Alister Firth Photography

Article is Subject to copyright @MusicSpeaksBlogger. Photos by Martin Bone Photography www.martinbonephotography.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment